Tinley Garth Chapel
In 1867 the Catholic Community in Kirkbymoorside worshiped in a rented joiner’s shop located in Tinley Garth, West End. This was their church for over thirty years until the new St Chad’s church was opened in 1897. The Chapel was later demolished in the 1960s.
St Chad’s Church
The foundation stone of the new Catholic Church in Kirkbymoorside was laid in October 1896 and can be seen today in the church under the statue of Mary. The sketch of the new Church of Our Lady and St Chad in Piercy End was drawn by Fr Maurice Powell. The church was designed by London Architect Bernard Smith and built in the Early English style, the type of Gothic architecture which originally flourished in the beginning of the 13th century.
In June 1897 the new Catholic Church was opened by Mrs Fenwick who was one of the principal benefactresses to the church. This was a great day of celebrations for not only parishioners, but the local community of Kirkbymoorside.
Our Lady and St Chad has been served from Ampleforth Abbey for over a century and ensured that a Parish Priest provides for the needs of its parishioners. This continues today and we are very fortunate in having Father Kentigern as our Parish Priest who serves our parish community.
Inside St Chad’s
The ornamental panel behind the altar is of particular interest. Three sections were originally in Gilling Castle and subsequently were moved to Tinley Garth Chapel and finally installed in the newly-built St Chad’s Church.
The canopy over the altar was designed by a Parish Priest and depicts four angels with outstretch wings with a central dove. The angels apparently represent four young girls who were part of the parish community at that time.
(A History booklet is available to purchase at the back of church)